First United Methodist Church of Grapevine encompasses the historic Minter's Chapel and Grapevine Methodist Churches.
In the 1850’s, early settlers in
Grapevine included two Methodist pastors, the Rev. Nathan Hudgins and
the Rev. Daniel Starr. They gathered other settlers of all denominations
in various homes for worship each week. Out of these gatherings, the
first Methodist church in Grapevine was organized in 1866 with ten
charter members. The church was known at that time as the Methodist
Episcopal Church South. First United Methodist Church of Grapevine has
been sharing God's love with children, youth and adults on the same site
A few miles away, a congregation had
been developing since 1854 under the name Minter's Chapel. Known as the
oldest Methodist-roots congregation in Tarrant County, Minter’s Chapel
was founded by Green Washington Minter and his wife Jane Large Minter.
Minter's Chapel moved from its original location due to the construction
of DFW Airport and later became Heritage United Methodist Church. The
church continued its rich tradition of worship and service in the
Grapevine area at its new location. The Minter's Chapel Cemetery is still in existence today, located on the DFW Airport property.
Starting in the summer of 2009, Heritage
UMC and First UMC Grapevine joined together under one charge of the
United Methodist Church. Then, in the fall of 2009, the two churches
became one under the banner of First United Methodist Church Grapevine.
Today, the church has over 2,900 members
who worship and minister at two locations: the Downtown Campus (the
original site of First United Methodist Church) and the Heritage Campus
(where Minter’s Chapel was moved in 1968 and later became Heritage
United Methodist Church).
The vision today is the same as it was
for the early settlers so long ago…to worship together, to learn about
Christ, to serve others, to grow in faith.
Through countless ministries,
professions of faith, weddings, funerals, baptisms and confirmations,
the light and life of Christ have been proclaimed for many years at both
congregations: Minter’s Chapel/Heritage and First Methodist.
An awesome past, an exciting present, an
incredible future together doing God’s work… there’s a place for you at
First United Methodist Church in Grapevine.
The earliest photo we have of Minter's Chapel
Located in front of the Heritage Campus, 4344 Heritage Avenue in Grapevine.
Formerly Minter's Chapel, and then Heritage United Methodist Church before merging with FUMC Grapevine
Located at the original site of Minter's Chapel, now a part of DFW airport property
Located at the cemetery on DFW Airport property
Earliest photo of what is now FUMC Grapevine
This Sanctuary was in use until the construction of what is now Founders Chapel. Note Leach Cabin in the background on the right-hand side. When the new building was built, Leach Cabin was moved and the "Leach" name was kept for the new fellowship hall... Leach Hall. Rev. L. Pat Leach, for whom the two were named, was pastor from 1925 to 1929.
These stained glass windows were in the 1935 church building. They are now on display in the Roundtable Room.
This view of Founders Chapel from Church Street shows the church bell, which was in the original church building.
This Sanctuary replaced the 1935 church building in 1966. The new building also contained offices, classrooms, a kitchen, parlor and Fellowship Hall (named Leach Hall in place of Leach Cabin). It was renamed Founders Chapel when the new Sanctuary was dedicated in 2002.
The Family Life Center, which contains a gym, classrooms and the church offices, was dedicated in 1986.
This home was originally the home of Harvey and Judie Forbes. It was moved to the corner of Church and College streets in 2000 to be used as additional classroom space. When it was first moved, it was named Heritage House. When the Heritage church merged with FUMC Grapevine, the name was changed to Forbes House to avoid confusion between the two Heritage names.
Items relevant to our church history are on display in cabinets in the Atrium of Founders Chapel. These cabinets are maintained by church historian JoAnn Compton.
Construction on the new Sanctuary began in 2001. In the process, Franklin Street was closed to thru traffic. In March of 2002, prayer cards were placed in the foundation beneath the chancel area. The Sanctuary was dedicated on September 22, 2002 with 2,002 people in attendance. The mosaic on the west facade of the Sanctuary, called "Come to Me," was dedicated in July 2005.
The stained glass cross at the front of the Sanctuary was dedicated November 17, 2002.
This window was donated by generous donors to the glory of God. It depicts the story of Noah and the Ark. The window was dedicated on October 9, 2011.
This window was donated by the Lancaster family. It depicts the story of Jesus calling the Disciples. The window was dedicated on October 9, 2011.
Missions & Outreach
Caring & Compassion
Creative Learning Center