Home » Heritage History
Little did Rev. Green Washington Minter, his wife, daughters and sons-in-law realize when they built a church to serve their families in 1854 that they were starting a legacy that would reach into the 21st century! Minters Chapel, the oldest Methodist church in Tarrant County, was originally built on what is now DFW Airport property by a group of individuals who felt that the community needed a place to gather, study, worship God, and from which to go in service to their community.
Since 1854, the physical structure where this legacy has been lived out has changed quite a bit. A new building was built in 1882 and a second was built in 1933 after the church was completely destroyed by fire. In 1968, the land on which Minters Chapel stood was wanted for the building of DFW International Airport and the entire congregation moved to its current
location at 4344 Heritage Avenue. The church's name was subsequently changed to Heritage United Methodist Church. The Minter's Chapel Cemetery
is still in existence today, located on the DFW Airport property.
In 2009, after several years of declining membership and financial challenges, the people of Heritage UMC solicited the people of First UMC Grapevine to join together in ministry to the community. After a few months of sharing a charter, the churches merged into one congregation under the banner of First UMC Grapevine.
The buildings, location and name have changed. But the spirit of the people who have made this church their home has never changed. They are still family oriented folks who believe the strength of a church is in its ability to help grow personal relationships with Jesus Christ. They still take their commitment to social justice seriously and try to live humbly through ongoing missions and community involvement. And, just like those who came before them, they continually seek to live each day to the glory of God.