Home » Connect » Activities for Families... » Children » Children
First Methodist Church wants to partner with parents on the journey of spiritual growth for your children from preschool through 5th grade. Our greatest desire is to help families and their children “Believe in Jesus Christ, Belong to the family of believers, and be disciples who know their scriptures and live them in our world”. We look forward to sharing this faith journey with you and your child!
Children age 3 years through 3rd Grade are a part of Children’s Sunday School. We use “Deep Blue” curriculum from Cokesbury. On Sunday mornings, the kids participate in worship and class time. The curriculum features a 3-year scope and sequence for 3-year-olds, 4-5-year-olds, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades. It also includes parent devotionals, talking points, and an mobile app that allows kids to play games with memory verses, as well as a parent portion with insights on lessons and biblical points. Sunday School is at 9:45 AM, with an additional Bilingual lesson during the 11 AM Bilingual Worship Service.
Watch for the following opportunities throughout the year:
- 1st & 2nd Grade Sacraments Camp: First and second graders get to participate in a yearly sacraments camp where we learn about the sacraments of the church: communion and baptism. In the Methodist tradition everyone of any age is always welcome to participate in communion. A special opportunity is provided at the end of the class for children to participate in a celebratory “First Communion” experience.
- 2nd Grade Acolyte Team: In addition to Sacraments camp, Second semester second graders are welcome to participate in an extended “Acolyte training” during Sacraments camp. Children will learn the importance of bringing the light of Christ in and be able to serve as Acolytes after training has been completed.
- Team Acolyte: Team Acolyte has both a fall and spring team. Acolytes may serve on one or both teams. Acolytes who begin serving in the fall must be in at least the 3rd grade and have attended training once. Older students are welcome to attend training as a refresher anytime it is offered. In the Spring, during Sacraments camp, we welcome our second semester second graders to the “Team.” There is no age limit for acolytes, anyone wishing to serve may.
- 3rd & 4th Grade Bible Camp: Third graders receive a bible every fall and then 3rd and 4th graders have a special opportunity to attend bible camp. It is a Friday/Saturday night at Glen Lake Church Camp where kids will get to learn about how special the scriptures are and how they are relevant in their lives.
- 3rd & 4th Grade Bible Class: After returning from Bible Camp, 3rd and 4th graders, get to participate in a get to know your bible class. Our Curriculum spans 8 weeks and is called “Learning to Use your Bible.” There is a parent guide and a student reference book to aid in joint study of scripture as well as personal discovery. The class is open to 4th graders who have not previously attended.
Bible Camp and Bible Camp 2.0 September 16-17, 2016 Bible Camp is for current 3rd and 4th graders who have just received their Bibles or are interested in learning how to use their Bible to learn all... More
Sunday Morning Drop-Off and Pick-Up
Please note the following drop-off and pick-up procedures for Nursery and Children's Ministries (revised 03/03/2015). If you have questions, please contact Patty Bandy ( email@example.com ,... More
Sunday School Buddies Needed
Helping Hands Ministry - Sunday School Buddies (SS Buddies) We have wonderful news from the Helping Hands Ministry... We need more Volunteers! This means our ministry is growing and touching more and... More