The Hudgins family in front of the Hudgins family home, where the Methodist Church initially met until a church building was constructed in 1873.
Grapevine Methodist Church Circa 1900
Earliest photo of what is now FUMC Grapevine
Grapevine Methodist Congregation
Methodist Episcopal Church South circa 1935
This Sanctuary was in use until the construction of what is now Founders Chapel. Note Leach Cabin in the background on the right-hand side. When the new building was built, Leach Cabin was moved and the "Leach" name was kept for the new fellowship hall... Leach Hall. Rev. L. Pat Leach, for whom the two were named, was pastor from 1925 to 1929.
These stained glass windows were in the 1935 church building. They are now on display in the Roundtable Room.
E. N. Hudgins
Stained glass from the 1935 Church Building
El Nathan Hudgins
Stained glass depiction of the church's founder, E. N. Hudgins
Drawing of Leach Cabin
Leach Cabin was built for the men's class and named in honor of Rev. Pat Leach. Leach Cabin was demolished in order to make space for the Sanctuary and Education buildings and the large fellowship area was named Leach Hall. Drawing by Ted Wilhoite.
The men's class in front of Leach Cabin
A photo of the church building that was built in 1935.
Worship in the 1935 Church
A photo of worship in the church building that was built in 1935... courtesy of Edith Pewitt.
Church Street View
This view of Founders Chapel from Church Street shows the church bell, which was in the original church building.
This Sanctuary replaced the 1935 church building in 1966. The new building also contained offices, classrooms, a kitchen, parlor and Fellowship Hall (named Leach Hall in place of Leach Cabin). It was renamed Founders Chapel when the new Sanctuary was dedicated in 2002.
City of Grapevine History Marker
Although this marker denotes the charter year as 1865, other historical documents consistently state the charter year as 1866... therefore more recent official historical celebrations have been observed from 1866.
Family Life Center
The Family Life Center, which contains a gym, classrooms and the church offices, was dedicated in 1986.
This home was originally the home of Harvey and Judie Forbes. It was moved to the corner of Church and College streets in 2000 to be used as additional classroom space. When it was first moved, it was named Heritage House. When the Heritage church merged with FUMC Grapevine, the name was changed to Forbes House to avoid confusion between the two Heritage names.
Items relevant to our church history are on display in cabinets in the Atrium of Founders Chapel. These cabinets are maintained by church historian JoAnn Compton.
Construction on the new Sanctuary began in 2001. In the process, Franklin Street was closed to thru traffic. In March of 2002, prayer cards were placed in the foundation beneath the chancel area. The Sanctuary was dedicated on September 22, 2002 with 2,002 people in attendance. The mosaic on the west facade of the Sanctuary, called "Come to Me," was dedicated in July 2005.
The stained glass cross at the front of the Sanctuary was dedicated November 17, 2002.
Noah's Ark Window
This window was donated by generous donors to the glory of God. It depicts the story of Noah and the Ark. The window was dedicated on October 9, 2011.
Calling of the Disciples Window
This window was donated by the Lancaster family. It depicts the story of Jesus calling the Disciples. The window was dedicated on October 9, 2011.
The earliest photo we have of Minter's Chapel
Green and Jane Minter
Founders of Minters Chapel Methodist Church, which later became Heritage United Methodist Church and then merged with First United Methodist Church Grapevine.
Minters Chapel Historical Marker
Located in front of the Heritage Campus, 4344 Heritage Avenue in Grapevine.
Minters Chapel before it moved to make way for DFW airport.
The Heritage Campus
Formerly Minter's Chapel, and then Heritage United Methodist Church before merging with FUMC Grapevine
Minter's Chapel Cemetery
Located at the original site of Minter's Chapel, now a part of DFW airport property
Minter's Chapel Cemetery Historical Marker
Located at the cemetery on DFW Airport property
422 Church Street | Grapevine, TX 76051 | 817-481-2559